All guests will find a warm welcome at Lyth Hill House, home of Gwendda and Clive. This 5 Star Gold Award winning B & B successfully blends the luxury and comfort of a good hotel with the warm, friendly and personal atmosphere only achieved in a family home. You have access to your room at all times and we are available most of the time should you need help or information. Please explore the other pages of our website, each of which has extensive information and/or photographs to give you a clearer picture of what we offer and please contact us if you have any specific queries.
Lyth Hill House stands in three-quarters of an acre of secluded beautiful gardens with a wealth of interesting features, a huge variety of shrubs and an abundance of wild-life. We are in a peaceful, rural location 5 miles south of Shrewsbury, the medieval county town of Shropshire. Hundreds of listed buildings, the castle, the world-famous Dingle gardens designed by Percy Thrower and the newly opened Theatre Severn all add to the vibrancy of this border town which is steeped in the history of battles between the Welsh and the English. Right in the heart of central Shropshire, attractions close to Lyth Hill House include: Wroxeter roman city, Ironbridge Museums, Attingham Park, Stokesay Castle, Wenlock Priory, the Severn Valley Railway and RAF Cosford. Church Stetton, Ludlow and Ellesmere are a few of our fascinating market towns and over the Welsh border there is Powis Castle, Llangollen and Lake Vyrnwy which are all within easy reach. Even the Welsh coast is only 2 hours drive away! Our Local Attractions Page gives further information on these and other local attractions. Walking opportunities abound locally and include the Long Mynd, the Stiperstones, Wenlock Edge, and of course right on our doorstep, Lyth Hill Country Park.
Three of our four rooms are on the ground-floor – offering a superb choice for those who require disabled access. We comfortably satisfy the requirements of M1 grading in the National Accessibility Scheme and only fail to get a higher grading because of doorway width. So long as your wheelchair can turn into doorways of 28” (72cm) that shouldn’t be a problem for you. Access to the house is from concrete parking with no steps throughout the public areas (with the exception of Room Four upstairs!)
- Gentle permanent ramp from concrete parking area
- Two shallow steps with hand-rails are an alternative route to the front door
- Ramp continues to front door level-access threshold
- No steps in guest accommodation (except Room Four upstairs)
- Plan of rooms with measurements available – please ask
- Appropriate grab rails in all en-suite facilities, please ask for specific information.
- No smoking, pets, or young children
- Large print menu available on request
- No ‘clutter’ to distract through hallway
- Sensitivity to hearing and visual impairment
- Easy access to swimming pool area so that wheelchair user can participate in some way if desired. Access to the water itself is via steps (not a “ladder”) with grab rail but please note that there is no hoist for the swimming pool.
- Wheelchair available for guests. Please reserve it when you book.
- Bed-blocks available to raise height of the bed by 6 inches (15cm.)
- Hire of MOBILE HOIST can be arranged.